“Every gap year student should have some skills training to help them travel in a more sensible and informed way. There are very few things in life that we expect to go off and do with no training, so why do we assume that travelling in the developing world can be achieved without preparation?”

Charlotte Hindle – author of Lonely Planet’s ‘Gap Year Guide’

Friday 27 June 2008

Plane Survival Lottery

To view the original article Click Here

Title – Plane Survival Lottery
Source – Daily Mail
Date – 27th June 2008

I’m not convinced that articles like this one are going to particularly encourage those people who already have a fear of flying. But then how many people can really say they have never considered the prospect of a plane they are flying in crashing?

The facts however are still very clear, flying is a very safe means of transport; certainly you are at far greater risk of serious injury or death during your drive to the airport, than you are once you have boarded your plane.

It is strange that it takes a University study to prove what must be one of the most logical conclusions to make; the nearer you are to an emergency exit the greater the chance of escape in the case of an accident… how was that study ever going to show any other conclusion? Think about it logically; if the person sitting next to the emergency exit does not survive how does anyone else get out anyway? It does seem to be a bit of a waste of time, but at least we now have the statistics to prove it…

Certainly the fear of flying is not something to be taken lightly, it is a terrible burden for those affected and restricts their ability to travel dramatically. If it helps them to sit near the exit then they are welcome to that seat as far as I am concerned, will I be rushing to get as close to the exit seat as possible next time I fly Easy Jet? Not really, I have always been the guy who waits until the rush is almost over before boarding anyway and that is unlikely to change. Before you ask, no I don’t have a death-wish and no I’m not careless with my own safety. I just know that there are many more important things to worry about when it comes to flying.

I could tell you my trick; count the seats between me and the nearest exit in front of me and behind me, so that when the cabin fills with smoke I can feel my way along to the nearest exit and not rely on the unconvincing floor lights that may or may not work after an accident. How useful is this trick? Far from full-proof, but who knows when it might prove useful…

However far far more important than these tricks or which seat I choose, is who I fly with. Going back to my earlier example, the reason I wouldn’t rush for an exit seat with Easy Jet is because they have an excellent safety record, to date they have never had a crash resulting in any fatality; I’m not saying it will never happen, but the chances are slight, less for example than being struck by lightning in the UK and yet I don’t run for a bunker in an electrical storm.

At Beyond The Blue our Gap Year and Independent Travel Safety & Awareness workshop concentrates on what really matters. Every little thing that can reduce the risks is important but so is perspective. It is more important to consider the airline you intend to fly with then the seat you intend to sit in. During our workshop we examine your Transport Options and how you can risk assess your plans prior to booking to reduce the risk you face on any form of transport from flights to boat rides and rickshaws to horseback.

Please visit our website at www.safegapyear.com or join us on Facebook. For a complete list of Blog entries visit our National Press Archive page.

No comments: